Cerezo says Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two matches
Yahoo Sports • 1 min read • Latest: Aug 19, 2026, 3:59 PM
Last updated Aug 19, 2026

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo expressed confidence that striker Julian Alvarez can regain the fans' support following his desire to leave the club. Cerezo indicated that Alvarez, currently out of the squad for Atletico's La Liga opener against Malaga while he builds fitness, has the potential to win over supporters quickly. Despite interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid, Atletico has rejected bids for Alvarez, who is considered a key player for the team. Cerezo highlighted Alvarez's character, stating that he believes the player will have a successful season. The conversation revolves around rebuilding rapport with the supporters amidst prior criticism of players transferring to rival clubs.
- •Julian Alvarez expressed a desire to leave Atletico this summer.
- •Cerezo is optimistic Alvarez can regain fan support in two matches.
- •Alvarez is not in the squad for the La Liga opener against Malaga.
- •Atletico rejected bids from Barcelona and Real Madrid for Alvarez.
- •Cerezo considers Alvarez a vital part of the team moving forward.
- 3:59 PMYahoo Sports — Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
"Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo said Wednesday wantaway striker Julian Alvarez can win over the club's fans in just two matches."I don't know if he will say sorry, but Julian is an excellent person and I am absolutely sure that he will win over the fans in two games," Cerezo told reporters.
Sources
External linksOriginal reporting and copyright belong to the linked sources. SportsNewsReport.com aggregates and links — it does not republish full articles.
Related Stories
Last 14 days
LaLiga•Aug 19, 2026, 5:00 PMManaging Madrid Podcast: Grading Every Single Real Madrid Signing So Far (Summer 2026)
LaLiga•Aug 19, 2026, 4:53 PMBarcelona vs Al Ahly, Joan Gamper Trophy: Live Thread
LaLiga•Aug 19, 2026, 4:48 PMSource: Barça end Álvarez chase, seek new options
LaLiga•Aug 19, 2026, 3:35 PMBarcelona reach agreement with 31-year-old Croatian star; club-to-club talks underway
LaLiga•Aug 19, 2026, 3:10 PMReal Madrid, Barcelona tracking 19-year-old La Liga midfield talent – report
LaLiga•Aug 19, 2026, 3:10 PMBarcelona consider surprise goalkeeper bid
