Liverpool's Minteh bid raises questions about transfer strategy

Yahoo Sports1 min read • Latest: Aug 21, 2026, 7:50 AM

Last updated Aug 21, 2026

Liverpool's Minteh bid raises questions about transfer strategy
Summary

Liverpool's recent £50 million bid for Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh has been criticized by Gareth Roberts from The Late Challenge podcast. He labeled the move as not signaling strong intent, suggesting it appears out of nowhere and expresses uncertainty in the club's transfer strategy. Roberts noted Liverpool had previously been linked with other players like Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye, and indicated that this bid could suggest a failure to secure those targets. The club is under pressure to enhance their squad's wing options, particularly on the right. The podcast highlights a potential need for urgency in finalizing signings as the transfer window nears its close.

Source Links
Market Watch
  • Liverpool made a £50 million bid for Yankuba Minteh from Brighton.
  • Gareth Roberts questioned the intent behind the signing.
  • The club has been more consistently linked with Barcola and Mbaye.
  • Concerns about Liverpool's transfer strategy have been raised.
  • Transfer window pressures may influence further signings.
Latest Updates
  • 7:50 AMYahoo SportsMinteh signing 'doesn't signal intent'
What they're saying
"

Gareth Roberts, from The Late Challenge podcast, says Liverpool's attempts to sign Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh doesn't "signal intent" after the Reds had a £50m bid rejected. "It's a strange one, it's out of nowhere," Roberts told BBC Radio Merseyside. It's Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye that we've been consistently linked with and the expectation was something will happen with that.

Related Teams & Leagues

Sources

External links

Original reporting and copyright belong to the linked sources. SportsNewsReport.com aggregates and links — it does not republish full articles.

Related Stories

Last 14 days