Atlético Madrid confirms Julián Álvarez's stay amid Barça interest
Yahoo Sports • 1 min read • Latest: Aug 21, 2026, 8:57 PM
Last updated Aug 21, 2026

Atlético Madrid officially announced Julián Álvarez will remain with the club after months of speculation. During the World Cup, Álvarez expressed a desire to leave, attracting interest from Barcelona. However, Atlético blocked any potential transfer. In response to the club's executive statements denying any discussions about a departure, Álvarez's agent, Fernando Hidalgo, shared a pointed message on social media.
- •Atlético Madrid confirmed Julián Álvarez's continued presence at the club.
- •Álvarez had previously expressed a wish to leave during the World Cup.
- •Barcelona made an offer for the player, which Atlético rejected.
- •Agent Fernando Hidalgo criticized the club's statements on social media.
- 8:57 PMYahoo Sports — 😱 They'll have to lie again: Julián's agent's barb at Atleti
"Today, Atlético Madrid fully confirmed Julián Álvarez’s stay after months of tension. The player said during the World Cup that he wanted to leave, Barça approached him with an offer, but Atleti...
Sources
External linksOriginal reporting and copyright belong to the linked sources. SportsNewsReport.com aggregates and links — it does not republish full articles.
Related Stories
Last 14 days
LaLiga•Aug 21, 2026, 9:15 PMBetis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
LaLiga•Aug 21, 2026, 7:10 PMReal Madrid star eyeing January return to the pitch
LaLiga•Aug 21, 2026, 7:06 PMReal Betis vs Real Sociedad (0-0)
LaLiga•Aug 21, 2026, 6:45 PMEspanyol manager praises Mourinho ahead of Real Madrid face-off: ‘He’s one of the best in history’
LaLiga•Aug 21, 2026, 6:05 PM🎥 He's back with a bang! Cristiano Ronaldo reaches 977th career goal
LaLiga•Aug 21, 2026, 5:45 PMBarcelona told to forget about Julian Alvarez as Atletico CEO Gil Marin issues strong statement
